Melbourne WebFest, Australia’s international web series festival, will be holding a live pitching competition for web series at this year’s festival, and is currently calling for submissions. Pitch Perfect @ MWF with ABC iview will be held on Saturday 2 July at Deakin Edge, Fed Square.
Pitch Perfect will be a fast-paced, interactive competition in which 20 entrants will have just two minutes to pitch an original idea for a web series based on the theme ‘Anytime, Anywhere’.
The winning pitch will earn its creator $5,000 towards script development. The cash prize is intended to cover travel and accommodation to Marseille WebFest for one person to attend their screenwriting residency, which is sponsored by Fox Digital. The residency will take place from 17 – 22 October, in conjunction with the 6th annual Marseille WebFest. The Pitch Perfect winner will also receive a free pass to the festival.
ABC has been an active supporter of Melbourne WebFest since its inaugural year in 2013, and in previous years, through the ABC iview award, granted one creator an acquisition deal with the digital platform.
Sally O’Donoghue, iview Manager, ABC TV said: “iview is committed to supporting the development of local creators of original, digital-first series. Melbourne WebFest provides an exciting opportunity for program makers at all levels to come together and share ideas, insights and showcase their work.”
“Digital-first series are breaking new ground. Take the recent launch of The Katering Show Season 2, exclusively on iview. Within record time it’s become one of iview’s biggest ever shows, and is on track to hit a million views. Pitch Perfect is an opportunity for creators to pitch us the next big hit.”
Pitches will be judged on script potential, creativity and audience reaction by a panel of judges, which will consist of Rick Kalowski (ABC Head of Comedy), Kevin Mountain (Content Manager, ABC iview), John Cabrera (Gilmore Girls, H+: The Digital Series), Craig Batty (Screenwriter/Academic) and Steinar Ellingsen (MWF Director). The event will be MC’ed by Heather Maltman (I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here, Now!, Unindian).
The winner of Pitch Perfect will be announced at Melbourne WebFest’s Gala Awards Night on Sunday 3 July.
Got a great idea for a web series? Here’s how Pitch Perfect works:
- Submit your pitch (in 50 words or less) on the theme ‘Anytime, Anywhere’ via Melbourne WebFest’s website: www.melbournewebfest.com/pitch-perfect
- Pitches should fit within fictional genres. Pitches for children’s and factual content are not eligible for the contest.
- The deadline for submissions is 5pm AEST Friday 17 June.
- A shortlist of 15 submissions will be notified by Friday 24 June.
- The shortlisted submissions will have two minutes on stage during Pitch Perfect on 2 July to pitch their idea and impress the judges and the audience.
- Guests attending Melbourne WebFest will also have an opportunity to submit a wild card entry during the weekend. Five wild card entries will be invited to pitch with the shortlisted 15.
Read the full competition guidelines, terms and conditions, and register for Pitch Perfect at www.melbournewebfest.com.