by MATTHEW EELES
As most of you will already know, as well as being the editor of Cinema Australia I’m also the festival director of the WA Made Film Festival – Western Australia’s newest film festival which aims to showcase WA screen talent.
For our 2021 festival we’re launching a brand new filmmaking competition for WA locals called Get Smart! Presented by Buy West Eat Best.
For our WA readers, I’ve included our latest press release below for your information. Feel free to help us spread the word!
OUR NEW SMARTPHONE FILMMAKING COMPETITION ENCOURAGES FILMMAKERS TO GET BACK BEHIND THE CAMERA
The WA Made Film Festival has partnered with Buy West Eat Best to offer WA filmmakers and residents an opportunity to scratch their creative itch by making a short film using their smartphones.
The new initiative, called Get Smart! Presented by Buy West Eat Best, invites local filmmakers to submit a mini-masterpiece to be considered for a special event screening during the 2021 WA Made Film Festival in March.
The Get Smart! Presented by Buy West Eat Best event screening will include a before and after party, drinks and food, networking opportunities and an awards ceremony which will include a major cash prize for Best Film chosen by a jury of industry professionals. More prizes will be announced in the lead up to the event.
“We want to provide established filmmakers, independent filmmakers, students, and the general public a genuine opportunity to get seriously creative,” said festival director Matthew Eeles. “This new initiative is about having fun. The sky is truly the limit as people all over WA are becoming more confident with their smartphone cameras, especially during COVID-19 induced isolation, and the rise of social media apps like TikTok and Instagram.”
Get Smart! Presented by Buy West Eat Best will allow filmmakers an opportunity to create a short film without the need for expensive filmmaking equipment and a massive budget.
With 34 WA films, a Perth premiere, multiple world premieres, and a heap of sold out sessions, passionate WA filmmakers and film enthusiasts helped make the inaugural 2020 WA Made Film Festival a huge success. Get Smart! Presented by Buy West Eat Best will be an exciting addition to the 2021 festival.
“This year’s festival was a massive success. We were blown away by the support the festival received from filmmakers and the general public,” said Matthew. “Audiences are hungry for local content and we will continue to do whatever we can to provide it.”
More special events are being kept secret for now, but will be revealed one-by-one over the coming months.
WA filmmakers will have until the end of the year to complete their films with submissions for Get Smart! Presented by Buy West Eat Best opening along with regular submissions on August 31 and closing December 7, 2020.
Filmmakers can submit their films to Get Smart! Presented by Buy West Eat Best via www.wamadefilmfestival.com.au from August 31.
Get Smart! Presented by Buy West Eat Best RULES:
1. Get Smart! Presented by Buy West Eat Best is open to WA residents only.
2. Submissions must be set and filmed in Western Australia.
3. Submissions must be shot entirely on a smartphone or tablet.
4. Submissions must be no longer than 10 minutes including titles and credits. There is no minimum time limit.
5. Final film must be an original idea from an original script with permission/rights to use all music contained within the film.
6. All genres accepted.
7. Films can be submitted by anyone, there is no age limit or qualifications required.
8. External microphones, smartphone lenses, lighting, tripods etc. are permitted and encouraged.
9. Post-production (editing, grading, sound mix, VFX, credits and titles etc.) doesn’t have to be done on the smartphone or tablet and can be done via any editing software or app.
10. Films must be made exclusively for the WA Made Film Festival and cannot screen anywhere prior to the festival (March 12 – 14, 2021). Films must not screen at film festivals or online until after 31st March 2021.
11. Final film must be delivered in HD quality. Preferably 1920×1080, MP4 at 24 or 25 fps.
12. Landscape mode films are preferred, but portrait mode is eligible.
ABOUT WA MADE FILM FESTIVAL WA Made Film Festival is WA’s only independently operated film festival featuring WA made shorts, documentaries, television and webisodes. WA Made Film Festival strives to showcase and celebrate talented cast and crew, stunning locations, local businesses and unique stories from all over Western Australia. Held 12-14 March, 2021 the WA Made Film Festival will screen across three days at the stunning Palace Cinemas Raine Square, in the heart of Perth city. Attracting audiences from all over Australia, the WA Made Film Festival 2021 will include World Premieres, Perth Premieres, pre-screening networking events, parties with drinks and canapes, Question and Answer sessions with filmmakers and other post-screening events and educational screenings.
ABOUT BUY WEST EAT BEST Buy West Eat Best proudly supports the local food and beverage industry in Western Australia. The program is managed by the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, Western Australia. When you see the Buy West Eat Best logo you can be assured that you are buying quality products that have been grown, farmed, fished and processed right here in Western Australia.