Directed by Phillip Noyce
Written by Terry Hayes
Produced by Terry Hayes, George Miller and Doug Mitchell
Starring Nicole Kidman, Sam Neill, Billy Zane, Rob Mulinar, Joshua Tilden and George Shevtsov
A suspense thriller about a husband and wife, recovering from a personal tragedy, who encounter a stranger while cruising their boat in the Pacific and become ensnared in a drama of mystery, high emotions and extreme danger.
5 things you may have never known
1. Dead Calm is based on Charles F. Williams’ 1963 novel of the same name. The novel was actually a sequel to Williams’ lesser-known 1960 romantic thriller, Aground.
2. Producer George Miller filmed a shark sequence which was never used in the film.
3. Orson Welles made a film based on the same novel in 1969 called The Deep. Welles cast himself in the film along with Michael Bryant, Laurence Harvey and Welles’ real-life partner Oja Kodar.
4. Disgusted by Welles’ treatment at the hands of the Hollywood studio system, Oja Kodar refused to sell the rights to anyone associated with the place. According to Phillip Noyce it was George Miller who successfully persuaded the reluctant Kodar to sell the rights.
5. Greta Scacchi was the original choice to play Rae Ingram, with the role eventually going to a 19-year-old Nicole Kidman. Real-life husband and wife Bryan Brown and Rachel Ward also turned down the roles of Rae and John.
Source: The Classic Australian Movie Collection